Best Practices for Securing an EMR Software
EMRs( Electronic Medical Records) are preferred over paper records because they provide better patient care, are more affordable, and save time. Even though there are security vulnerability risks on PHI, most EMR platforms have security measures to keep patient data safe.
Here are some best practices that bolster safety, protect patient data, and uphold trust among patients and staff.
- Patient and staff education:
- Educate patients and staff about data security, leave system unattended, paper point of PHI.
- Get regular training to report threats like breaches.
- Encourage a culture that promotes transparency and accountability while managing confidential patient information.
- Strong Passwords:
- Users of EMR platforms must adhere to strict password policies and use complex combinations, including staff and patients.
- Make it mandatory to change passwords regularly and discourage reuse of passwords across multiple accounts.
- Offline Backups:
- EMR/EHR data should be routinely backed up offline for storage in a secure environment. Protect and encrypt backup data. Test the recovery procedure to guarantee that data can be recovered in the event of a breach or loss.
- Access Control and User Permissions:
- Implement strict access controls and function-based permissions, ensuring customers can quickly enter the facts necessary for their roles.
- Have audit trails for all actions performed and tested.
- Security Audits and Penetration Testing:
- Conduct security audits and vulnerability tests to identify and take steps to mitigate them within the EMR/EHR system and the infrastructure.
- Consider hiring moral hackers for penetration checking out to simulate actual-world assaults and find vulnerabilities.
- Compliance with Data Protection Regulations:
- Stay updated on healthcare records protection policies (such as HIPAA), and ensure compliance.
- Regularly audit your EMR/EHR software to ensure it aligns with organizational necessities.
Our soon-to-be-launched product, expEDIum Office EMR, is expected to be a safe and secure EMR vendor option for healthcare practices. For more details, you can reach out to us.